Radio star rumoured to replace Calombaris
A Triple M radio star has reacted to rumours that she’s set to star in a new cooking show with Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan on Channel 7.
Mick Molloy, who co-hosts Kennedy Molloy with Jane Kennedy, confronted his radio offsider live on air after hearing that she might be working with two of the former MasterChef judges on TV next year.
“The Channel 7 Upfronts are on Wednesday (afternoon) and I believe there’ll be some sort of announcement about a cooking show involving them and you, you hussy!” Molloy said on Triple M.
“I beg your pardon? Me? I don’t know what you’re talking about,” a coy Kennedy replied.
“You can’t even look me in the eye!” Molloy said.
Kennedy, who has released four cook books, continued to play dumb as Molloy pressed her for more details.
“I don’t know where you hear these rumours from,” she said. “You know I get on great with those guys, they’re great friends.
“All I will say is you know I love cooking, I love food.”
Molloy asked Kennedy to deny the rumour live on air, but his co-host simply said, “No comment.”
Speculation has been rife for weeks that Preston and Mehigan will appear in a new TV show on Channel 7 next year.
Embattled fellow former MasterChef judge George Calombaris was reportedly “off the list” for inclusion in the new show after being fined $200,000 for underpaying staff at his restaurants.
Last week there was a rumour floating around that Preston would also appear as a judge on next year’s season of My Kitchen Rules, but the TV personality shot that down in a statement to news.com.au.
“I can confirm that I am talking to other networks and producers about new projects for 2020 and beyond,” Preston told news.com.au.
“Taking over MKR as host/judge is not on the agenda! I have too much love for Manu, Colin and Pete to do that!”
The three former MasterChef stars, who were sensationally dropped by Channel 10 in July, are all contracted to Channel 10 until the end of 2019, but they each have a different “hold back” agreement with the network that stipulates how long they have to wait before they can sign with other commercial networks in Australia.
According to the Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, Calombaris’ “hold back” clause with Channel 10 is longer than Preston and Mehigan’s, which is another reason why he won’t be a part of the Channel 7 show.
Preston, Mehigan and Calombaris have said they are desperate to find a TV project to do together, and given their “hold back” clauses don’t cover international TV opportunities, they’re looking to do something overseas.
“The feedback we have all received in person on our travels and online from so many of the 20 million fans around the world who loved watching the ‘three musketeers’ on TV confirms that we’d be mad not to continue making TV together overseas for the international market,” Preston told news.com.au. “This is something we all look forward to doing when the time is right.”
Channel 10 recently announced that Mehigan, Preston and Calombaris would be replaced on MasterChef next year by Jock Zonfrillo, Melissa Leong and Andy Allen.